Search This Blog

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Personal Experience

Although it is not one of the injuries that I have previously discussed (mainly because it is not one of the more common and it happens in all sports, not just contact ones) , I want you to understand that I have been through a similar situation so that it might better assist you if it happens to you. I have gotten concussions, a broken bone and your average sprains, but nothing compares to what happened my senior year.

I had never missed a game coming into my senior year of high school. I was feeling strong, proud and ready for a big year. The opening game of the season I was off to a great start with over 100 yards rushing and already scored twice. Near the end of the first half I broke away for another long touchdown. As I went into the end zone I let up and got hit by a helmet going directly into my ankle. The excitement from the run managed to block out some of the pain, but I still limped off the field. To this point I assumed it was simply a bruise or sprain at worst. I couldn't play the rest of the game and limped home. That night was the most excruciating pain I have ever felt in my life. I could not sleep, and could not move. All i felt was a thrashing pain in my ankle that did not cease. I would have to take pain meds for the next 2 weeks, just to manage.

I was a stubborn player none-the-less and did not do anything but ice my ankle and limp around. When I say limp I actually mean stepping and my foot would give out. I could not practice the first couple days and when my coaches saw my limp they insisted on me going to the doctors. This was not going to happen. I got a special tape job, and practiced that last day and suited up for the game. Come game day they put me in and at first glance, I hid my limp well. The first time I needed to make a cut it was obvious. I was pulled from the game and sat out. The next week I would not play. I went to the doctors to find out I had torn ligaments in my ankle and a strained/slight tear in my Achilles. Surgery was not a necessity, but my senior year would be all but over. News like that was difficult to handle. It smashes down on you like a ton of bricks. I sat out a few more weeks before starting to practice and work the limp out, refusing to let it be over. In the end my limp was gone as long as  it was taped and I was able to play the final game of the season. It wasn't the same, as was I not the same.

An injury like that can hit you so hard mentally as well as physically. I was lucky to get back on the field at all. Those who suffer a serious injury must face not only rehab of the body, but sometimes more importantly, rehab of the mind. The emotional and mental strength that a player must build to overcome the scared mentality of re-injury is a struggle unlike any other. Getting out on to the field/court and actually not holding back on that body part is possibly the most difficult step in recovery. To this I say, go as slow as you must, but know that at some point you will have to break through that mental block.  

1 comment:

  1. Now that I hear about all these serious injuries in sports, I respect athletes even more.

    ReplyDelete